When you buy a new device, Automatic Setup will pop up automatically, but there are some steps to follow to get everything transferred over.
- Power on your new device.
- After choosing your language, you'll see a "Set Up Your iPhone (or iPad)" prompt.
- When this appears, place your existing iOS device near the new device to initiate Automatic Setup.
- Your existing device will show a pop up letting you know you can use Automatic Setup. Tap "Continue" to start.
- An Apple Watch-style pairing image will appear on the new device, and you'll be instructed to scan it with the camera on your existing device.
- In an area with decent lighting, hold the existing device's camera over the image to pair.
- Enter the passcode from your existing device on the new device.
- From there, all of your data starts transferring over to the new device.
After Automatic Setup, you'll need to go through the Touch ID, Siri, and Wallet setup processes, but your other information is synced over. You still have the option to restore all of your apps and data from a backup, but you can also set the device up as new.
An "Express Settings" feature further speeds up new device activation, automatically enabling Find My iPhone, location services, and analytics. If you don't want these options enabled, tap on "Customize Settings" to change them.
To use Automatic Setup, both of the devices involved need to be running the iOS 11 update, so it's perfect for customers who are receiving an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus and have already upgraded their previous-generation devices to iOS 11.
Discuss this article in our forums